So, what did I do today?
- There are a set of "layers" that can be rendered to (default, alpha-blend, HUD, etc.)
- Each game object has a layer mask, that specifies which layers it wants to render to
- Each component adds its layer mask (if any) to the parent game object's mask
- Each camera has a set of layers that it draws
- The camera broadcasts Render(layer) to each component in each game object for each of the camera's draw layers
- It's the responsibility of each component to decide what (if anything) it wants to draw on each layer
All of this was to try and get the Health component to display a health bar above whatever it's attached to. Still working on that.
- Engine exhaust particles bound at model space transform, not world space - now that I can get the model-space transform after Friday's model fix