Time for a change of pace.
Several months ago I did some prototyping work on using music files to, to some extent, generate levels. I've been planning on using this for various later parts of the game, but since I'm feeling a loss of momentum at the moment, it seemed like a good time to go back and bring some of that code up to date.
Since this code predates the last major engine architecture change (and before I started blogging regularly), it's fairly out of date. At the time I was using a horrible, cobbled-together .wav streamer. Since then, I completely re-wrote the audio streaming system (now supporting .ogg files, yay) and now have a much better system for dealing with streamed audio buffers. Today has mostly been a bunch of cut-and-paste to move everything into a proper component and hook it up to the streamer callback.
So, that's coming along, and now sends everything through the FFT to get a spectrum out the other end, and dumps it into a texture so I can actually visualize the audio.
I had a few new ideas for gameplay with this system.... I'm not sure how I work it into the fiction of the what I want to do for the rest of the game, but I'm sure that can be worked out. :) I'm half-inclined to make it a game of its own and maybe get something actually, you know, done and released. We'll see about that...
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.